5/18/2010

Natural Makeup - Blush from Beets!

I'm not a fussy person when it comes to hair and makeup and all that sort of stuff, but there are a few products that I use every day.  One of those was liquid blush.  I used Benefit's "Benetint", but after learning a little bit about cosmetic ingredients, I realized that two of the ingredients in Benetint, when combined, make formaldehyde! And then there's the whole not wanting to support an industry that preys on womens insecurities, but that's a whole different post.  Either way, I didn't really want to buy Benetint anymore.

I realized that beet juice was almost the exact same color as my old Benetint, so I decided to do some kitchen experimenting.  I put about 2 or 3 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin in a small pot over medium heat, and added half a chopped organic beet.  I let it simmer until I got the color concentration that I wanted, and after it cooled, I funneled it back into the old Benetint bottle.  In my opinion, it's the exact same color as what I was using before.  It's a really subtle color that works well with a variety of complexions.  And it smells a little bit like beets, which I actually like, but if that's not your thing, you can probably add some fragrance.  I've been using it for about 3 months, and it's just been sitting out on my dresser.  The vegetable glycerin is a preservative, so the beets shouldn't rot.

And here's the finished product!  You can vary the color intensity by using more or less of it on your face.  You can also use it as lip color.  It will cost you about $4 for the vegetable glycerin, and $1 for the beet, plus about a half hour of your time.  Compared to the $20+ for a bottle of the store-bought stuff, that's an amazing deal!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I came here through Hannah's buzz! I will have to give this a try, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't mind I posted a link to this excellent tutorial over on my blog! I gave it a try yesterday and loved it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! where do you find the glycerine and how do you apply it?

    sorry for the stupid questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello!! i too followed hannah's link! where to buy vegetable glycerin, though? and mmmmmmm, beets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so neat! please share more natural makeup tips! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing! i love benetint too, so maybe i'll give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone!

    I got my vegetable glycerin from Whole Foods, but you can also get it at most health food stores, The Vitamin Shoppe, or a pharmacy. I think you can buy it online as well.

    Kara- I used my old Benetint bottle, and the top has a little brush in it (kind of like a nail polish bottle) and I'll paint 3 or 4 lines on my cheeks and then rub it in really well. If you don't have an bottle like that, you could just use any old bottle with a small opening, and use your fingers to apply it.

    Hannah- thanks for the link love :) I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sewon- I don't do much else in the way of natural makeup, blush is about it, haha. But I get most of my personal care items from a lady who lives near me and has a line of awesome, all-natural, super-quality ingredient skincare stuff. Her website is http://www.fiddlebump.com and if you follow her on facebook, she posts natural skincare recipes (like a papaya facemask!) almost everyday. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiddlebumps-Apothecary/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is genius! I am excited to try it, thank you for the tip =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made this and I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails