6/02/2010

Quilting for Funzies

I really, really enjoy sewing.  But when it's both your hobby and you workday, it can get a little tiresome.  The reason why I like quilting so much is because it's very different than the design and production sewing I do for my clothing line.  For my line, I'm usually doing six things at once, and learning a seventh and an eighth at the same time.  There's a lot there that can go wrong!  But that's what I love about this job.  There's not much repetition.  I'll bounce from pattern drafting to serging seams, to ironing, to resizing photos on the laptop, to going on a supply run...all within the course of a day.  This is something that I thrive on.  I have to plan and decide what I do next, there's no instruction sheet for me to follow.  Butttttt....I have times where I just want some structure, some repetitive task to sort of zone out to while creating something pretty.  That's where (simple) quilting comes in*.  I'm making a strip quilt right now with my sister.  She's doing the same design, different colors.  The only time I need to make a decision is in the very beginning when I'm picking out the fabrics and colors.  After that, it's cut out a bunch of the same sized strips.  Sew together a bunch of the same sized strips.  Cut a bunch of the assembled strips in three.  Sew them back together.  It's sooo relaxing. I can abandon the quilt for a month and pick up right back where I started. 

 The next quilt I want to make is the Cathedral Window Quilt.  It will be a really neat way to showcase scraps from other projects as the "stained glass" windows.  Since it involves origami-like folding, there's no need for backing or quilting.  The tutorial for this quilt is here: http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot.com/2007/08/cathedral-window-quilt-tutorial.html and photo credit goes to http://www.flickr.com/people/paperstringcloth/.

Another quilt I want to make is the adorable Little Forest Quilt.  I really like the asymmetrical placement of the trees on the quilt.  Tutorial here: http://www.purlbee.com/little-forest-quilt/.







I also like making these silly little yo-yo things.  You can make many different things out of them, or just use them as decorations on clothing and bags.  I like the idea of making a blanket out of them.  I've also seen some really cool necklaces made of four or five yo-yos of varying sizes.  Here's a good tutorial on how to make them: http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/how_to_make_a_yoyo/hbyoyotutorial1.html


And if sewing just isn't doing it for me, I'll go play the piano!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails