11/15/2010

Design Define Detroit

I attended Design Define Detroit at 5e Gallery last Saturday, and was really happy about all the people that showed up to support Detroit fashion.  The discussion panel on creating a garment district in Detroit was my favorite part.  The panel was made up of fashion designers, stylists, business consultants, and a city council member; all with important things to say.  My favorite part of the discussion was when Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh implored all designers, photographers, stylists, etc. to learn all aspects of their business. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.  You'll never be able to produce a successful line just by drawing sketches all day.  I wish they had talked more about learning opportunities in Detroit.  Besides doing an internship, I don't know of anywhere else where you can learn about producing a line. (A great online resource is fashion-incubator.com.)

It was discussed how Detroit used to have a garment district back in the 50s.  My grandma talks about it sometimes, all the fabric stores and seamstresses that were there, I wish I could go back in time and see it!  My grandma was helping me fit a dress for myself and I was telling her about Design Define Detroit and she said "A long time ago, we used to dress up to go to the city. There were so many fabric stores; Michigan Woolens on Broadway, and Zemco Textiles...it was a big deal!" It will be interesting to see what kind of fashion district will form now,  I'm so excited to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails