12/08/2010

Detroit Urban Craft Fair 2010 Recap

The 5th annual Detroit Urban Craft Fair was last weekend and I was so happy to be a part of it.  This is the fourth DUCF that I've participated in, and I have to say, I got super sentimental! Maybe it's because it's the end of a decade, but from talking to other vendors and organizers, I could tell that I wasn't the only one getting a little reflective.

Back in 2006, I was reading the entertainment section of the Free Press, looking to see what bands were playing as usual, when I saw that there was going to be an indie craft fair at the Majestic. Stuff that was actually handmade, not windchimes produced in a huge factory overseas like you would find at so many other craft fairs. I had been crafting and sewing clothes all throughout high school, so I was super excited to check it out. When I got there, I was so impressed with the quality, creativity, and innovation of the work that was there. But most importantly, I realized that there was a venue for me to get started with my own clothing business, which I had previously thought impossible without moving to another city.

I started my business a few months later, and here I am today! I still have a long way to go, a lot of goals I want to achieve, but it's been super fun so far.  There is a great crafting community in this city that has grown a lot since the beginning, and I'm proud to live here!

The Fillmore was packed with crafters and shoppers. Aside from the DUCF volunteers (who were awesome), I had some great help. Billy and our friend from Oklahoma came to visit me the first day, and my mom and sister came the second day. And it's our tradition for me to take my helpers out to eat after the show, otherwise I would have stayed for the afterparty.

The venue was so beautiful inside.  All the fancy, super-detailed ornamentation everywhere was pretty amazing. I felt like I was in some sort of fancy palace. Did anyone else notice that the balcony had no visible support beams? How does that thing stay up?

Amazing times!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails